College History

Printer-friendly version

1st XV 1956.jpgSt Joseph's Nudgee College is a Catholic, boy's day and boarding College conducted by the Christian Brothers, St Francis Xavier Province, established in 1891. At the time of Nudgee College's Golden Jubilee in 1941, the late Archbishop Sir James Duhig described the College as being "the jewel in the crown of the Christian Brothers' Schools in Queensland".

The present site of the College was selected by Rev. Br. Patrick Ambrose Treacy, founder of the Australian Province of the Christian Brothers after the Archbishop of Brisbane at the time, Most Rev. Robert Dunne D.D., requested that the educational facilities of a residential College be made available for Catholic boys, especially those from country districts.

Buildings

From its inauguration, the buildings of Nudgee College were conceived on a grand scale.  Since the main building, with its impressive facade, was completed in 1891, considerable extensions and additions have been made, while preserving the architectural unity of the original plan.

Travers 1956.jpg

 The beautifully designed chapel was completed in 1916 and what is now the Duhig Building, although then only two levels, in 1919. In 1938 a Junior College was opened at Indooroopilly. The opening of this fine building on a prominent site on the banks of the Brisbane River made possible considerable expansion at the Senior School.

Between 1948 and 1952 new toilet blocks and bathrooms were erected and the playing fields extended. In 1954 new dormitories were constructed, the Dining Hall was enlarged and the kitchen modernised. In 1967 new Senior Dormitories were constructed providing single rooms for each boy. In 1989 the refurbishment of the Duhig Building was undertaken and in 1990 the McKennariey Centre was completed. In 1995 a new residential block, the O'Neill Residence, was completed and Year 5, 6 and 7 boarders returned to Nudgee College. These boys attend St Patrick's, Shorncliffe for tuition. In 1996 the English Village was expanded with the addition of five new classrooms and the Nudgee Information Technology Centre (NITEC) was opened providing first class Library and technology facilities.

In 1997 the original dormitories were completely refurbished offering junior boarders the very latest in residential style accommodation with each boy occupying his own room. The Purton Science Building undertook a major transformation with the addition of state of the art Science labs and Art workshops. The 50m pool also received a major overhaul with the fitting of solar heating and wet decks.

In 1998 the new International College was completed along with the international standard synthetic athletics track. Extensions to the McKennariey Centre were undertaken in 2000-2001, including a new state of the art gymnasium, classrooms, coffee shop and retail clothing areas. The commencement of the 2002 academic year witnessed a complete refurbishment of the Hodda residence for Year 12 boarders.

In 2008 the O’Neill Building was fully renovated and refurbished changing it from a Boarding House into the home of the College’s newly commenced Year 5 – 7 students. The purpose built space includes 15 classrooms with interactive whiteboards, science and computing facilities, a library, art room, and multi-purpose undercover area where students sit to eat their morning tea and lunch.

In 2010, a refurbished Tierney Hall was opened complete with a 400-seat auditorium, dedicated drama rooms, a kitchen/servery and hospitality training bar. A refurbished Purton Building was also completed containing a total of 13 Science labs dedicated to the individual areas of Biology/Agricultural Science, Chemistry, Marine Studies and Physics, a staff area and Year 8 core classrooms.